January 21, 2022
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. After last week’s “perfect storm” of a long holiday weekend, COVID, and a winter storm, I am looking forward to seeing folks back in worship this Sunday. It was a bit lonely in the sanctuary and chapel without you! We will continue with our series entitled What Keeps You Up at Night? Each week we are considering the stresses on our lives that rob us of restful sleep and searching the depths of our faith for inspiration that brings peace. This week we will focus upon fears we may have about the future and consider the meaning of these words from Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount:
I hope you will join us in person this week for worship. Of course, all morning services will be available by livestream through the church’s website: www.prumc.org/livestream.
On Sunday evening we will offer a Prayer Service for Healing at 5:00 pm in the Moore Chapel. The service will be led by Rev. Carolyn Stephens and will feature, hymns, scripture readings, a message, and a time for prayers of intercession. Please know that you are not alone in your struggle, whatever it might be. We want to pray earnestly for you and for your healing and wholeness. Please join us this Sunday evening.
We have spent the last few days preparing our year-end reports to send to the Annual Conference. I want you to know that, even in the midst of a two-year pandemic that has challenged all of us in many ways, 2021 was a very good year. Consider these statistics:
- Average Worship Attendance – 2,013 (including online participants)
- Number of Persons Who Joined on Profession of Faith – 78
- Total Number of New Members – 129
- Giving to the Operating Budget – $6,825,606 ($75,606 over budgeted giving!)
- Giving to the Lenten Local Outreach Offering – $220,000
- Giving to the Christmas Eve Offering for Water Filters in Kenya – $175,000
- Giving to Other Outreach Special Offerings – $355,000
These numbers reflect a faithful and generous congregation, and I am grateful for the many ways you participate in the ministry of Peachtree Road.As we look forward, these are our major initiatives for 2022:
- Encourage regular participation in worship – both in-person and online
- Develop excellence in our hospitality ministry that invites and welcomes all
- Strengthen our care of one another through small group connections
- Promote the enhancement of mental health
- Continue the development of the church’s new campus on the Westside
- Develop a year-round stewardship emphasis to support our ministries
I hope you will prayerfully support your church as we reach out and offer the light of Christ to our community and help transform the lives of others.
Finally, I am excited to announce the launch of a new digital ministry entitled Connect-PRUMC. This is the online community of Peachtree Road UMC and will enable you to interface with our church database and allow you to engage with your church, fellow members, and all our ministries. Once this is launched next week, you will be able to:
- Update your contact information, including adding a current family portrait
- Stay in touch with fellow members
- Manage the communications you receive from the church
- View your giving statement and manage your giving
- Help us develop an in-house digital pictorial directory
- Find groups to join
- Subscribe to events through your smartphone
This represents a giant step forward for us in our ability to stay connected and care for one another. In the coming days, you will receive instructions and weekly “homework” to help you take advantage of this new ministry tool. You may not be the most “tech-savvy” person in the world (neither am I!), but I hope you will join our online community.Thank you for your continued support through your prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness. I am grateful for you. Please call on me if I can be of help to you in any way.
Grace and peace,
P.S. Notice: A portion of the upcoming January 31, 2022, Administrative Board meeting will be designated as a called Charge Conference for the purpose of adopting the annual church budget.