September 7, 2018
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. I wanted to begin this week’s note with a reminder that we are in the midst of a “Year of Prayer” here at Peachtree Road. We began January with a series of messages on the “Power of Prayer.” In the months since, we have constructed prayer walls on both our physical and virtual campus and participated in prayer vigils and special times of spiritual devotion. Now, as we move into the final third of the year, I want to make you aware of three more opportunities to deepen your prayer life:
- Noon Mid-Week Prayer Service – Have you sometimes felt the need for a mid-week time for prayer, reflection, and fellowship here at Peachtree Road? Beginning September 12, we will offer a 30 minute service in the Moore Chapel, and the service will be held each Wednesday at noon for all who would like to attend. This will be a time of singing, reflecting upon scripture, and participating in guided prayer for our community, nation, and world. Following the service, you are invited to lunch in Grace Hall. This might be just the time of refreshment your soul is craving. I also encourage you to invite your friends, neighbors, and co-workers.
- Educational forums on the essentials of prayer – As we continue to offer growth opportunities in the practice of the spiritual discipline of prayer, we are blessed to have members of Emory University’s Candler School of Theology coming to lead us in a series of forums on the importance of prayer on the journey of life. Our guides include:
- Bishop Larry Goodpaster – “Prayer: An Expression of Life” (Sunday, September 16, 10:00 am in the Sanctuary)
- Rev. Dr. Ellen Shepard – “Prayer: An Expression of Hope” (Sunday, September 23, 6:30 pm in the Moore Chapel)
- Rev. Dr. Tom Elliott – “Prayer: An Expression of Recognition” (Sunday, September 30, 6:30 pm in the Moore Chapel)
- Bishop Woodie White – “Prayer: An Expression of Gratitude” (Sunday, October 14, 6:30 pm in the Moore Chapel
- Fall Intercessory Prayer Ministry – Are you looking for a structured way to set aside an hour a week praying for the needs of others? Then I encourage you to volunteer for our Intercessory Prayer Ministry. You will have the opportunity to come to one of the prayer rooms at the church or a place of your choosing once a week and pray as you write notes of encouragement, hope, and support. To sign up, please contact Brittany Charron at the church.
I really am looking forward to being with you in worship this week. This Sunday marks “Fall Kick-off” here at Peachtree Road, and we will continue with our series entitled “Fruitful” that began last week. This week’s message will invite us to consider “Joy: the Fruit of Gratitude.” Have you ever noticed how God surrounds us with people who know how to have fun? Even in the midst of the sadnesses that inevitably come to us all, they know how to move forward, to laugh, to have fun, and to experience the joy of life in Christ. It is an art worth learning. That’s what we’ll be talking about on Sunday.
By the way, you may receive a phone call this week inviting you to participate in worship at Peachtree Road this Sunday. We have recruited 150 people to make about 15 phone calls each to invite our in-town members to make a special effort to be present for worship this week. The music promises to be uplifting as our choir will be joined by the Atlanta Brassworks. In addition, we will welcome a number of new members, and I will have the privilege of introducing Andrea Petsche, our new director of The Preschool here at Peachtree Road, to you. All in all, it promises to be a great day. If you are unable to attend in person one of our services on Sunday morning in the Sanctuary or Heritage Hall, I encourage you to worship at Sundays @ 5 in the Moore Chapel or online.
Finally, the Dogwood Gift Shop will open on Sunday for the season. You are encouraged to drop by the shop to see Jan Bilthouse and Anne French and their volunteers to view the shop’s new fall inventory. Please remember that all proceeds will benefit the global outreach ministry of Peachtree Road. We are projecting that the Dogwood will contribute $150,000 toward missions this year as we seek to transform the lives of others for Christ. Thank you for your support.
Now that Labor Day is behind us and the fall is here, I look forward to seeing you in worship this and each Sunday of the season. Please call on me if I may be of help to you in any way.