October 15, 2021
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope this note finds you well. On Sunday we will continue our series entitled “Under Pressure” as we focus upon how to cope “When You’re Experiencing Burnout.” In my study for this week’s message, I came across an article that posed the following questions:
- Do you feel overwhelmed?
- Do you doubt your ability to handle the problems you are encountering?
- Do life’s difficulties seem to be piling up on you?
- Do you become emotionally upset when something unexpected happens?
According to the author, if you answered “yes” to any of these, you may be a prime candidate for burnout. And Christians are not immune. The author of the book of Revelation once accused the members of the church in Ephesus of burning out:
“I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance. I know that you cannot tolerate evildoers; you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them to be false. I also know that you are enduring patiently and bearing up for the sake of my name, and that you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.” – Revelation 2:2-4
This week we will consider burnout through the eyes of Moses and seek to discover ways to help us cope in these pressure-packed days. I hope you will participate in one of our services this Sunday – 8:45 am, 10:00 am, 11:15 am, or 5:00 pm. I remind you that each of these is available by livestream through our church website. Please join us for worship this week.
I especially encourage you to join us for one of the following opportunities this Sunday:
- Sunday Forum – this Sunday, October 17, Peachtree Road member and licensed clinical social worker Martha Tate will lead a forum in Heritage Hall at 10:00 am on the topic “Awakening to Wholeness: Mind, Body, and Spirit.” You are invited to attend and learn how to develop a life of love, hope, and encouragement through your faith in Jesus Christ.
- Sunday Conversation with Ron Greer – our church’s One Lamb Initiative is sponsoring a series of Sunday conversations beginning this week at 5:30 pm in the church’s Hospitality Suite. Ron Greer will introduce the One Lamb Initiative mental health ministry and invite folks into a dialogue about this important subject. You may want to attend the Sundays @ 5 worship service in the Moore Chapel and then head downstairs for the conversation. All are welcome and no registration is necessary.
Finally, let me share three upcoming opportunities with you:
- Covenant House Sleep Out – many of you know that Covenant House is one of the local agencies with whom our church partners to help homeless youth. This ministry seeks to provide young adults with shelter and a network of support to give them the resources they need to thrive in life. In an effort to help raise awareness and funds to support this ministry, I will be sleeping outside with other pastors, rabbis, and business executives from our community on Thursday, November 18. To support my effort, you may give here, through the church’s website, or make your check out to Peachtree Road UMC and marked for “Covenant House Sleep-Out.” Thank you for your support.
- Become a member of Peachtree Road UMC – a special joining Sunday is set for November 21, and we would love to help you grow deeper in your relationship with Christ and find avenues of service to others through this great community of faith. If you would like to learn more about the steps in becoming a member, please contact our associate minister Leslie Watkins at email@example.com.
- Pilgrimage to the Holy Land – a group from Peachtree Road will be traveling through the land of the Bible March 7-18, 2022, and we would love to have you join us. We already have over 30 registered for this pilgrimage, but we still have room for you! Please reach out to me or Jamie Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Thank you for your faithfulness in so many ways. I hope to see you soon. Please call on me if I may be of help to you in any way.
Grace and peace,