August 28, 2020
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope this note finds you safe and well. At the close of this note, I want to share several important updates from Monday evening’s Administrative Board meeting. First, I want you to know how much I am looking forward to worshiping with you on Sunday. We are bringing our series of messages entitled “Grace for Every Time of Need” to a close.
As I look back upon the last week, I realize just how much need there is in the world this week: another Black man was shot by a police officer while the man was resisting arrest; protests in several cities have erupted into violence and murder; and a category 4 hurricane made landfall on the Gulf Coast yesterday morning taking lives and flooding entire communities. There is much for us to be in prayer about. This week’s message is entitled “Sunday Worship: A Glimpse of Heaven.” I hope you will join us online as we pray for God’s will to be “done on earth as it is in heaven.”
Here is a quick reminder of several opportunities coming up this next week:
- Vigil of Prayer – each Monday the sanctuary is open for prayer between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm. Members of our clergy staff will be in the sanctuary to offer spoken prayers at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, and 1:00 pm. You may register and have your temperature checked at the Rollins Building entrance on your way to the sanctuary.
- Midweek Online Worship – Wednesdays at noon in the Moore Chapel. Whether you are at home or work, we invite you to worship with us online for thirty minutes of singing, prayer, and inspiration. Please invite your friends and co-workers to join you each week.
- COVID-19 Testing – in partnership with Community Organized Relief Effort (CORE), we are continuing to offer COVID-19 testing on our campus on Saturdays in September. Please check the church website for dates, and remember to observe the three W’s: wash your hands, wear a mask, and watch your distance.
Finally, as promised, let me share some news with you from this week’s Administrative Board meeting. Since the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have pivoted in our ministry to focus upon three essentials: vital online worship, nurturing our congregation, and loving our community. Here are some of the highlights from Monday evening:
- When will we be offering in-person worship? We are encouraged by the decline in the number of new COVID-19 cases in recent weeks moving Fulton County out of the “red zone.” We will be watching the trend of new cases, monitoring the beginning of the school year for some of our community’s private schools, and following up with you soon.
- A new online worship service is set to launch from the church’s Westside Table initiative. The new service will be available through the church’s website on Sundays at 5:00 pm beginning September 13.
- Care packages will be delivered to all of our in-town members during the week of Labor Day, and our hospitality teams are planning an initiative to prepare Peachtree Road to invite and welcome persons from our diverse community to worship.
- It was reported that giving to the operating budget through the month of July is $151,000 below projections. That is not surprising given the economic impact of the pandemic, but it is cause for concern for the church’s future. Spending also is below projections as some operating expenses such as worship bulletins, retreats, and mission trips were put on hold. However, we also have incurred additional un-budgeted expenses for new technology to help us stay connected as well as personal protection equipment that have us just about at break-even heading into the fall. Everyone is encouraged to do their best to stay current in giving to the ministry of the church. Your support is needed now more than ever!
Grace and peace,
PS – A special offering will be received Sunday for hurricane relief on the Gulf Coast. Please make your check payable to Peachtree Road UMC and mark it for “Hurricane Relief.” You also may give online through the church website. Please know that 100% of your gift will go to the relief efforts. Thank you for your generosity.