Sunday, July 2, 2017
Sermon Podcast – Coming Soon
The Lord is my Shepherd
Rev. Bill Britt
The reading of the 23rd Psalm is one of the most beloved passages in the entire Bible. I believe its power comes from the hope and comfort it communicates to us as we walk through life’s valleys.
- “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…”The psalmist understood that the valleys of life are a given. Life isn’t just enjoying yourself in green pastures, sitting at a feast at the family table, or overflowing cups of blessings. The valleys in life are inevitable.
- The psalmist understood that the valley is not a destination. Rather, it is a passageway that we walk through.
The interesting difference between “though” and “through” is the letter “r,” which in American Sign Language is represented by crossing your fingers. Of course, this sign predates ASL by many centuries. Early Christians used the sign in times of persecution to identify themselves as people of the cross – followers of Christ. We are invited to remember that it is Christ who is with us as we venture into life’s valleys, and it is Christ who enables us to move through them.
You probably know someone who is struggling in a valley this week. Look for a way to offer them an encouraging word. They are not alone. Christ is with them. That word might make all the difference to them.
Sunday, May 21, 2017
We Have an Advocate
Rev. Bill Britt
We are in the season of transitions – graduations, weddings, confirmations, etc. With each of these, the old passes away and something new begins. And that can be a source of anxiety for many, and Jesus understood that. While preparing his disciples for his own departure, Jesus said: “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever…” (John 14:16)
- The Advocate the Father sends is one who walks alongside us as a counselor. Do you have someone like that in your life?
- Jesus doesn’t just send us an Advocate. He sends us the Advocate – the Holy Spirit who brings to us an abundant life.
- There is nothing you can say or do to prevent God from loving you.
This week, look for ways to declutter your life and create more room for the Holy Spirit to fill your soul. Exercise your spiritual muscles through worship, prayer, study, and service. You have an Advocate!