December 30, 2021
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. Let me begin this year-ending note by glancing back at 2021. Though we were limited in many ways by the two-year pandemic, there is much we accomplished here at Peachtree Road UMC. The year was dedicated to living out Christ’s admonition to “Love Your Neighbor,” and we strived to do just that:
- We launched an ongoing mental health initiative designed to help persons struggling with anxiety, depression, stress, and addiction. The One Lamb Initiative team brought William Cope Moyers to Peachtree Road for a lecture that is serving as a springboard to launching recovery groups here.
- In an effort to support our community, our campus served as a COVID testing site, a Pfizer vaccine site, a Red Cross blood drive site each month, and now, a voting precinct for the Buckhead community. In addition, our local outreach efforts through A Season of Service, the Lenten Offering, and Christmas Kindness touched the lives of thousands.
- In the fall, we launched a new campus of Peachtree Road UMC on the Westside of Midtown called The Westside Table. It currently averages approximately 65 people in worship each Sunday.
- Also in the fall, we expanded our ministries of worship and congregational care by adding a 10:00 am Sunday service in the Moore Chapel and organized our members into neighborhood care groups.
- We continued our initiative to build bridges of reconciliation through our partnership with Cascade UMC and local public schools.
All of these and so much more were accomplished through your generous support of Peachtree Road UMC. Thank you for your faithfulness in praying, serving, and giving in 2021.
Speaking of your giving, don’t forget that your year-end gifts must be postmarked no later than December 31 in order for them to be included in your 2021 giving statement from Peachtree Road and be deductible on your 2021 tax return. You can bring your gifts to the church office or mail them to:
Peachtree Road UMC
3180 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305
We would be delighted to assist you with your giving by cash, check, credit card, electronic funds transfer, or stock gift. Certainly, the easiest way to give may be through the church app or online at the following link: www.prumc.org/give. I know many of you donate appreciated stock to the church, and we would be delighted to receive your gift in that way. Please feel free to contact the church business office if you need any help whatsoever. I hope you will help us finish this year well. If you have had a good year financially and could help the church with an extra gift to the operating budget, know that it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you to all who have made a commitment toward the operating budget for 2022! For those who have not yet done so, this is really important. I would be grateful if you could do that this week. You can make your pledge through the church app or by clicking the following link: www.prumc.org/give. If you have not registered your commitment with us, please let us know of your support this week. Every member plays a vital role in the ministry of Peachtree Road UMC and is important to us.
Finally, as we prepare for the New Year, let me recommend this Sunday’s worship service to you. On January 2, our congregation is set to gather for one service at 11:15 am. We will follow the pattern John Wesley set for the early Methodists in the 18th century – the Wesley Covenant Service. On this occasion, we will have the opportunity to worship Almighty God, celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion, and pray the historic prayer as we renew our covenant with Christ:
I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing, put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low for you;
let me be full, let me be empty;
let me have all things, let me have nothing;
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
you are mine, and I am yours.
So be it.
Let this covenant made on earth, be ratified in heaven. Amen.
Our associate minister Carolyn Stephens will be the preacher for this service. I encourage you to join your friends from Peachtree Road UMC in the sanctuary or online at www.prumc.org/livestream. I do remind you that in the midst of the spiking numbers of new COVID cases, we are under a mask mandate in the city of Atlanta. You are encouraged to wear your mask to church. If you do not have one, one will be offered as you enter the building.
Thank you for your faithfulness. It has been a remarkable year, and I am grateful for you in many ways. You truly are changing the world – here in Atlanta and in faraway places. May God grant you blessings in the coming New Year!
Grace and peace,