CHILDREN’S & YOUTH CHOIRS / FALL 2020
The start of children’s & youth choir rehearsals has been postponed until mid-October; watch for communication on the new start date. We’re sorry for the delay and look forward to seeing you next month!
We’re very excited to be able to restart choirs! For the Fall 2020 semester, we will be holding children’s and youth choirs in small groups with special safety protocols (Spring protocols TBD). Members will not be able to attend choir without pre-registration, confirmation of a spot, and submission of their medical form. You’ll receive your rehearsal schedule with location and exit/entry logistics before first rehearsal. Contact Tamara Witt at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Please click below to complete an updated 2020-2021 Medical Form.
Individual Children’s Choirs/Age Groups:
- Wednesday Cherubs & Carol choirs (ages 4 & 5) will combine into one group, called Cherubs, with a maximum of 20 members; that group will divide in half and alternate weeks for rehearsal on Wednesdays, 5-5:45 pm.
- Thursday Cherubs (previously held following preschool) will not be held this year.
- Covenant Choir (1st-2nd grades), maximum 20 members, will divide in half and alternate weeks for rehearsal on Wednesdays, 5-5:40 pm.
- Celebration Singers (3rd-5th grades), maximum 20 members, will divide in half and alternate weeks for rehearsal on Wednesdays, 5:45-6:30 pm.
- Doxology Youth Choir (6th-12th grades) will be capped at 50 members and will meet in five groups of 10, assigned by the half-hour.
- Bells will not be held this year for children or youth.
- All choir members must wear a mask at all times and should have developed a comfort level with wearing a mask for an hour.
- Members cannot come to choir if they have been sick in the previous 48 hours (any symptoms) or if they’ve traveled out of the country within the previous two weeks.
- Parent will accompany child to check-in for choir and stay until health confirmation.
- Temperatures will be taken upon check-in, and hand sanitizer will be applied. If a member has a fever of 100 degrees or more, he/she will not be able to stay.
- Children will enter and exit at different points so that choirs don’t overlap each other (specific logistics will be sent to registrants before first rehearsal).
- Children’s choir members will sit on an individual floor mat, which will be placed 6+ feet away from all others. They will need to stay on their own mat during rehearsals. (Doxology members will be in chairs, distanced.)
- Mats will be Lysoled between rehearsals.
- Parents won’t be able to enter the PRUMC buildings during rehearsals, so that we can minimize exposure.
- Parking for each choir will be designated, so as to minimize parents overlapping as they drop off and pick up at specified bldg. entrances.
After Aug. 30, please contact us at email@example.com to determine whether openings are available.
The Chancel Choir
The Chancel Choir is made up of adults age 18 and above, and serves as the principal musical leadership for the 8:45 am and 11:15 am worship experience. The choir also presents several concerts each season for members of the PRUMC community and the city of Atlanta. Among these are Handel’s Messiah, Dan Forrest’s Requiem for the Living, as well as new and commissioned works.
Every other year, this nationally recognized choral ensemble embarks on a European tour performing at the great cathedrals including Notre Dame, Chartres, St. Paul’s and most recently as the choir-in-residence at Westminster Abbey in 2018.
The Chancel Choir is always looking for new members. No audition is necessary, but an interview with the Director of Music is requested. Child care is available during rehearsal times. Contact Scott Atchison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chancel Choir Rehearsal | Wednesdays, 7:00 – 9:00 pm, Music Suite
The Chamber Singers
The Chamber Singers is an auditioned ensemble drawing its membership from the PRUMC Chancel Choir. This ensemble of fifteen voices concentrates on the music of the early church, but draws its repertoire from all periods of musical composition. For an audition, please contact our Director of Music, Scott Atchison at email@example.com.
Chamber Singers Rehearsal | Wednesdays, 6:30 pm, Music Suite
The Peachtree Carillon
The Peachtree Carillon is Peachtree Road’s adult handbell choir. The Peachtree Carillon plays in services throughout the year, including Palm Sunday, Easter, and Christmas. Due to busy schedules we work in ‘seasons’, those available for the performance date and rehearsals play, and those who can’t are our substitute players. We also have beginner groups available and childcare for rehearsals. For more information, please contact our Director of Music, Scott Atchison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peachtree Carillon Rehearsal | Thursdays, 6:00-7:00 pm, Music Suite
The Georgia Boy Choir
Peachtree Road is proud and fortunate to share a relationship with the Georgia Boy Choir, our ensemble-in-residence. The Choir presents music during Sunday worship services several times each year, and offers magnificent concerts which are hallmarks of our Christmas and spring seasons.
The Georgia Boy Choir operates on a five–tiered system of musical education for boys as young as five years old through high school. In addition to performing in Atlanta, and throughout the southeast, the Georgia Boy Choir ends each season with an international concert tour.
A boy who becomes a member of the Georgia Boy Choir is in for one of the best experiences of his life. In addition to establishing a legacy of musical excellence, the Choir understands its responsibility in helping to mold boys into young men of admirable character, who will be leaders in their homes, their temples and churches, their schools, their communities, and in the world.
For more information on The Georgia Boy Choir, click here. To learn about auditioning, click here.
Peachtree Road warmly welcomes special guests to our worship services and are honored to share the magnificent worship space with which we have been blessed. Together we share our gifts to the glory of God!
Choirs who wish to perform at Peachtree Road United Methodist Church will find guidelines and a request form below. Please contact the Music Office at 404.240.8212 or email@example.com with any questions you may have.
Visiting Choirs may sing no more than 20 minutes of music prior to the Sunday Worship Services. Rehearsal times in the Sanctuary begin at 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
Choirs will sing from the Chancel steps in front of the altar.
Music sung is to be sacred and a cappella. Also keep in mind the liturgical season (no alleluias during Lent, etc.) when choosing your program.
Choirs are asked to dress formal – either robes or concert black (long, dark dresses, dark coat and tie).
Choirs are invited to stay for the Worship Service and listen to our nationally acclaimed music program – an experience you won’t want to miss! Reserved seating will be available.
If your choir is interested in visiting Peachtree Road United Methodist Church, please complete and submit the form below with a recent recording of your choir. You may also submit other promotional or informational materials (programs, tour information, awards, etc.) about the group. Application for date will not be processed until both request form and audio file have been received.
Thank you for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you!