March 24, 2023
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. We are nearing the end of our Lenten journey, and I hope you sense that you have grown closer to Christ in this season. As I mentioned in my sermon on Sunday, life can throw curve balls that can disorient us. In each of those times, we discover the faithfulness of God and grow spiritually in our relationships. When we reorient our lives with Christ as our North Star, we find that our lives just work better. I hope you are discovering that truth in this season.
I am looking forward to Sunday as we continue our series entitled “The Sound of Silence.” In this week’s message (“I Need Thee Every Hour”), we will reflect upon Jesus’ words from Matthew:
“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” — Matthew 11:28-30
Are you feeling weary? Are you being weighed down by heavy burdens? Do you know how to find rest for your soul? We’ll wrestle with these questions on Sunday, and I look forward to seeing you at one of our services: 8:45 am, 10:00 am, or 11:15 am. If you are unable to make it in person, please join us online for the livestream of one of the services at www.prumc.org.
Of course, today is the day we have set aside for fasting (from sundown Thursday until after 3:00 pm this afternoon) and prayer (an online prayer meeting occurs each Friday morning during Lent from 7:30 – 7:45 am, Zoom 839 784 08295, and the Moore Chapel is open each Friday from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm for prayer). I hope you are finding it easier to make some space in your life in these days of Lent to quiet your soul, calm your spirit, and experience God in the silence.
In addition to fasting and prayer, this is a season in which we as a congregation are engaging in seeking to make a difference in our community. Here are two important opportunities:
- Season of Service – a great way to serve others and make an impact in our community. I hope you will join us in this year’s emphasis under the title “Together We Serve.” You may find a list of projects and sign up here. Pick one and join your fellow members of Peachtree Road UMC in being the hands and feet of Christ.
- Lenten Offering – once again this year our special giving during the season of Lent will be used to support the agencies and ministries in the Greater Atlanta area with whom we partner. As you give up a couple of meals each week, consider giving the money you are saving to this offering. If each of us gave just $20 a week or $120 for the season, it would make a tremendous impact upon the lives of others. Please give to this offering here.
Opportunities for this Sunday:
- Tea with the Clergy – Are you interested in becoming a member of Peachtree Road UMC? Then join us for lunch this Sunday, March 26, at 12:30 pm in the Hospitality Suite. You will have an opportunity to meet our ministerial staff, hear about the history and ministry of the church, ask questions, and discover where you fit in. We already have nearly 30 persons signed up for this month’s gathering. If you would like to learn more about the steps in becoming a member, please contact Rev. Elizabeth Byrd at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dogwood Trunk Show – You are invited to drop by the Dogwood Gift Shop this Sunday for a trunk show from 9:30 am until 1:00 pm. Select from three different designs of beautiful, botanical crosses handmade by a local gardener. Crosses will be made especially for Palm Sunday, crafted from fresh greenery. You may pre-order or purchase on Sunday.
- Musical Stations of the Cross – You are invited to join us this Sunday evening at 7:00 pm in the sanctuary for an evening of inspired organ improvisations, reflective settings sung by Schola, and live readings of the passion narrative from the Gospels. The sanctuary will be illuminated by the glow of candles representing Christ’s light, inspiring moments of reflection and contemplation for the listener. A $15 donation is suggested.
As we look ahead just a few weeks to Easter, I want to invite you to help us decorate the cross out in front of the sanctuary with flowers as a beautiful symbol of our faith in Christ and the Resurrection. This year members of the Flower Guild will be out in front of the church on Saturday morning, April 8, between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm to receive your flowers. You may bring flowering branches, flowers from your yard, or colorful flowers you have bought. Please share them with us and help us offer a beautiful message to our city: Christ is Risen!
See you Sunday as we seek God’s peace in the presence of Christ.
Grace and peace,