Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. Let me take this opportunity to invite you to our End of Summer Celebration at Peachtree Road UMC. I know many of you have been spending time on the weekends away from the city; however, with school starting and fall right around the corner, it is time to come back to church for worship. This Sunday promises to be a great day as we conclude our series of messages entitled Wesley’s Words to Live By and consider some words of John Wesley about heaven:
“I want to know one thing, the way to heaven; how to land safe on that happy shore.”
As a part of our worship this Sunday, we will sing hymns about heaven and have the privilege of hearing two of the finest tenors in Atlanta: Timothy Miller and our own Will Green. As they say, the music alone will be worth the price of admission! I really hope you will make a special effort to join us at one of our services (8:45 am, 10:00 am, or 11:00 am) or online at www.www.prumc.org.
Following worship, you are invited to enjoy a fellowship luncheon with your friends in Grace Hall. We will be serving a delicious Southern meal of pulled pork barbeque, baked beans, slaw, rolls, and strawberry shortcake from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm, and the meal is offered complimentary by the church. Donations will be accepted. This will be a great way to finish your morning at Peachtree Road UMC.
Reminder of Upcoming Opportunities for Growth and Fellowship:
- Welcome to Admiral Barry Black (August 28) – we are delighted to welcome Admiral Barry Black, Chaplain for the United States Senate, to our pulpit at Peachtree Road UMC for all services on Sunday, August 28. Admiral Black has a congregation that consists of 50 Republicans and 50 Democrats and knows what it is like to offer spiritual guidance in divisive times. I hope you will join us for worship on this day to hear this great preacher of our time.
- Journeys of Paul Cruise Registration Is Open! – Jamie Jenkins and I will be leading a trip tracing Paul’s 2nd and 3rd missionary journeys next fall, and registration is now open! We have been allocated 65 cabins aboard the Azamara Onward for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience the land of Paul with other United Methodists. The online brochure is here. For more information, please contact Jamie Jenkins at email@example.com.
- Usher Recruitment – preparations are in full swing to welcome folks back to church in September. Our goal is to have our usher teams up to full speed by the beginning of September, and several teams are still short. If you would like to be a part of a monthly team, please reach out to Josh Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
- Tea with the Clergy – last call to come and meet with our clergy on Sunday afternoon, August 21, at 5:00 pm in the Hospitality Suite. This event is designed to help newcomers to Peachtree Road UMC get connected and find their place in this great church. “Tea with the Clergy” is the first step toward becoming a member. You’ll learn about our church’s history, the resources we have to support you, and how you can find at least one area of ministry (or several!) in which you are passionate and can make a difference. If you are ready to become a member, you can join at the conclusion of “Tea with the Clergy.” However, if you’re not quite ready, don’t worry. There is no pressure, and we’ll take a break before folks join. Please contact Elizabeth Byrd at email@example.com to sign up.
- Adult Bible Study Registration – beginning on Sunday, August 21, you will be able to register for fall adult studies. We will offer a range of spiritual enrichment opportunities nearly every day of the week with classes ranging from Disciple Bible Study to Methodist beliefs, a study of Jonah, yoga for wellness, prayer, women of the Bible, and so much more. Please check our website for offerings and times at www.www.prumc.org.
Finally, let me express my gratitude for your prayers, sympathy cards, and words of comfort many of you have offered after the recent death of my mother. Thank you for your loving compassion. I am grateful for you. If ever there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to call on me.
Grace and peace,