August 18, 2023
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. Though the days have been brutally hot here in the city, summer is nearly over, and the fall season here at Peachtree Road UMC is right around the corner. I want to begin this week’s letter by inviting you to our End of Summer Celebration this Sunday morning. It begins with worship as we continue our series on Methodist Beliefs with a message entitled “Methodists Believe in Heaven.” Have you ever wondered what it’s like to arrive in heaven? Do you think it happens the moment you die, or does it happen (as the poet expressed it) “on that great gettin’ up morning” at the end of time? Will we know one another in heaven? What do Methodists believe? We’ll wrestle with questions like these on Sunday.
The service promises to be inspiring as we sing hymns about heaven, pray about heaven, and reflect upon what the scriptures teach. The Chancel Choir will sing as its anthem the spiritual “Deep River” arranged by Rene Clausen with tenor Will Green as a featured soloist. That by itself is something you will not want to miss, and I hope you will make a special effort to join us at one of our services at 8:45 am, 10:00 am, or 11:00 am, or online at www.prumc.org.
In addition to worship, please note the following opportunities on Sunday:
- BBQ Luncheon in Grace Hall – we will be serving a delicious Southern meal of pulled pork barbeque (prepared by the men of the church!), baked beans, slaw, and dessert from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm, and the meal is offered complimentary by the church. Donations will be accepted. This will be a great way to finish your morning at Peachtree Road UMC.
- Hospitality Ministry Training – are you interested in becoming an usher or parking lot greeter? Please join others in this important ministry for a training day this Sunday, August 20. After the BBQ luncheon, we will gather in the sanctuary at 1:15 pm for a one-hour training session. Please contact Brittany Charron at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Next Sunday, August 27:
- Children’s Ministries Promotion Sunday – children from nursery age through the 5th grade will move to their new classrooms and meet their teachers next Sunday at 10:00 am in the Children’s Building.
- Confirmation Class Parents Meeting – parents of members of this year’s 6th-grade confirmation class are invited for an information session next Sunday at 9:00 am in the Student Center.
- Youth Parents Open House – all families with 6th through 12th-grade youth are invited to the Student Center for an Open House at 10:00 am.
- Guatemala Family Mission Trip Lunch and Learn – are you interested in a post-Christmas mission trip for you and your family? Join your friends from Peachtree Road UMC December 27 -January 2 as we work to build homes and provide support for families living in that country. No experience is needed. Dawn Hawkins, our director of global outreach, will be offering this information session on Sunday, August 27, at 12:30 pm. You may contact Dawn for more information at email@example.com.
- Adult Bible Study Registration – you may register now for our fall adult study offerings. We offer a wide variety of spiritual enrichment opportunities nearly every day of the week with classes ranging from Disciple Bible Study to book studies. If you are looking to take the next step in your faith journey, join us this season. Please check our registration page for offerings and times.
- Choir Registration – do you love to sing? We offer a fully graded choir program for people of all ages from the youngest to the oldest, and registration for all choirs is now open. Don’t miss this chance to meet new friends through music at Peachtree Road UMC. You may get more information and register here:
- Adult Acolyte Captains Needed – our church’s Acolyte Ministry is in need of 8 more Acolyte Captains for the 2023-2024 school year. Acolyte Captains assist our youth acolytes in getting robed for the upcoming service and encouraging them in their roles so they can bring the light of Christ into worship. For more information, please contact Rev. Josh Miles at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finally, are you interested in learning more about Peachtree Road UMC and possibly becoming a member? If so, I would like to invite you to “Tea with the Clergy” on Sunday, August 27 at 12:30 pm in the Hospitality Suite. We would love to meet you, share a little about the ministry of Peachtree Road UMC, and possibly help you become a member of this great church. Please contact Brittany Charron at email@example.com for more information or to sign up.
Thank you for all you do to make Peachtree Road UMC’s ministry vital. I look forward to seeing you Sunday as we pray heaven down to earth!
Grace and peace,