October 13, 2023
Dear Peachtree Road Family,
I hope you are well. I really am looking forward to worshiping with you this Sunday. It is Commitment Sunday here at Peachtree Road UMC, and we will have an opportunity to renew our commitment to Christ through this great church. At the close of the service you will have an opportunity to bring your commitment card to the altar to offer yourself to Christ in a time of dedication.
- Some of you already have made your commitment for the coming year, and I hope you will come to the altar for that prayer of dedication.
- Others of you have made a recurring gift that has no expiration date. That counts as a commitment! I hope you also will come to the altar for prayer.
- If you have not made a financial commitment to the operating budget in the past, please consider the blessings of your life and plan to give something (really, any gift would be helpful – even $10 per week!) next year. I want you to experience the joy of knowing you helped make a difference.
- Finally, let us all strive to be tithers (giving 10% of our income) as an offering to God in gratitude for the blessings of life. In order to grow toward that goal, I hope you will consider taking a step toward that level this next year by increasing your giving by 10% over this past year.
At the close of worship, I hope you will stay for lunch as a guest of the church. A fun tailgate party is planned for your enjoyment with hotdogs, hamburgers, slaw, and all your favorite tailgate foods. Come join the fun!
An alert to all Sunday School classes: the Parson’s Cup is back up for grabs! This award goes to the Sunday School Class with the highest percentage of commitments to next year’s church budget. The competition will run through the end of November and will be awarded in early December. For your convenience, you may pledge through the church app or online at www.prumc.org.
On this Commitment Sunday we are bringing our series entitled “Developing a Generous Heart” to a close. This week’s message will focus upon John Wesley’s advice to early Methodists as they learned holy habits that helped keep their hearts in tune. The music will be inspiring as our children’s choirs sing and the Chancel Choir offers an anthem entitled “It Is Well.” I hope you will join us at 8:45 am in the sanctuary, 10:00 am in the chapel, or 11:15 am in the sanctuary. If you cannot attend in person, please join us online at www.prumc.org.
Opportunities in the coming weeks:
- If you are interested in touring Peachtree Road UMC’s Flower Guild Garden, tours will be available following each of the morning worship services. Martha Tate will be offering these educational tours, and all are invited to enjoy the natural beauty of this garden and learn about gardening and the Flower Guild. No reservation is necessary. Please meet in front of the Harp Student Center.
- Monday, October 10, (10/10) was National Mental Health Awareness Day. We received an offering last Sunday to support the One Lamb Initiative that promotes mental health here in our community. Thank you for your generous giving. Please note these upcoming opportunities offered by the One Lamb Initiative:
- Alcohol Facts: Abuse or Addiction – Sunday, October 15, 6:00 pm, in the Hospitality Suite. Nancy Rank, PhD will offer a presentation on this important subject and help participants recognize the difference between alcohol abuse and alcohol addiction. Please RSVP by emailing email@example.com.
- Change Your Story, Change Your Life – Sunday, October 22, 5:30 pm, in the Hospitality Suite. This workshop led by Dr. Linda Buchanan is designed to help women rethink their personal stories in a new way and find freedom for living. Please RSVP by emailing info@1Lamb.org.
- Halloween Extravaganza — Wednesday, October 25, 5:00 –7:00 pm, in the Green Parking Lots. This community event will welcome our neighborhood families to our church! Put on your favorite costume and join us for awesome Halloween festivity. We will have a Trunk-or-Treat, bouncies, games, a photo booth, hot dogs, a cakewalk, and much more. We would love your participation as gracious hosts for the Trunk-or-Treat. To help at this event, click here.
Finally, are you interested in becoming a member of Peachtree Road UMC? Please join us on Sunday, November 12, at 12:30 pm in the Hospitality Suite for “Tea with the Clergy.” At this luncheon meeting, you will have the opportunity to meet with several members of our clergy staff, hear about the ministry of this great church, ask questions, and even have an opportunity to join at the end of the session. Please contact our director of evangelism and hospitality Brittany Charron (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or to sign up.
Thank you for your commitment to the ministry of Peachtree Road UMC. Your prayers are heard, your presence is inspiring to others, your gifts are making a difference, and your service shines the light of Christ in our community. I am grateful to be your pastor.
Grace and peace,